A man nearly lost his eyesight after getting savaged by a Black Widow spider while asleep in his home.
Nicholas Cook, 30, from Denver, Colorado woke up to a burning sensation on his face and was shocked to find two gaping wounds on his cheek.
Horrifying photos show the extent of Nicholas’ struggle with the bite, which has left him traumatised and stacked with medical bills.
The 30-year-old didn’t know where the wounds came from and decided to leave them hoping the pain would subside.
In just 48 hours, the wounds expanded and doubled in size and the swelling on his stomach ended up oozing puss.
Nicholas decided to go to the emergency room believing he was bitten by a poisonous spider, after his symptoms became worse and he began experiencing cold sweat and chills.
Doctors then confirmed he was bitten by a Black Widow but they were unable to provide him with medicines and antivenom so they sent him home with pain relief medication.
The black widow is clearly identified by the red mark on its abdomen, and are most common in the Southern and Western states of the US.Poor Nicholas was disappointed at the lack of treatment available.
Nicholas now says he has developed a phobia to spiders after the horrific experience.
Nicholas, who works a minimum wage job, has since set up a GoFundMe page for the staggering medical bills incurred for his treatment which he is struggling to afford.
He said: “Sadly, minimum wage doesn’t allow for any unexpected expenses.
“I set up a GoFundMe in the hopes that someone who financially blessed and charitable could help me without any negative impact on their life.
“My family’s financial situations aren’t any better than mine. After I pay rent, utilities and necessities are paid for, I have very little left.”
He has now urged people to keep their homes safe from spiders and insects and to alert authorities if they spot any clusters of creepy crawlies roaming around.