The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were accused yesterday of ‘losing all sense of perspective’ after making an extraordinary online ‘swipe’ at the Queen and other royals.
Harry and Meghan announced on Friday evening that they will stop using their Sussex Royal brand when they step down as senior royals on March 31.
They claimed the Queen had no ‘jurisdiction’ over the word ‘Royal’ overseas and said the monarch and the Government would have been powerless to stop them had they continued to use the word while abroad.
The lengthy statement contained what appear to be references to other royals, including the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie and the Earl and Countess of Wessex.
There was also a thinly veiled attack on the British media, who they feel have been unfairly critical of their actions.
The statement claimed they had been treated differently from other members of the Royal Family and reminded readers that Harry remains sixth in line to the throne and an HRH by birth.
Last night it was clear that the Palace was exasperated by the intervention, although not unduly surprised. Others described the couple’s words as unhelpful to their public image and family relations.
‘Let’s just hope they feel they have got whatever they want to get out of their system,’ said one.
Another royal insider – who is not part of the negotiations – told the Mail that the couple seemed to have ‘lost all sense of perspective’.
It was their decision to do this and the family is clearly trying their best to facilitate it,’ the source said. ‘But it inevitably requires sacrifices on both sides and the Sussexes need to be rather more gracious about it.
‘Sniping from the sidelines doesn’t help anyone.’